Saturday, May 7, 2011

What's Andy Growing? - Garden update

I have always loved the allure of gardening.  In the house I grew up in, we had a pretty large garden and I remember helping to pick the veggies.  I have tried the pass that experience on to my kids.  My daughter absolutely loves gardening and will help out willingly in any task.   My son, not so much, but he likes eating the veggies. 

In the past, I have planted a traditional garden, in the soil, with tons of weeds.  For the past few years I have always wanted to build a raised garden to combat the weeds and the critters.  They look so nice and they are easier to maintain.  I've had a design in my head for a few years but was never able to find the time to build it.

This year, I finally decided to bite the bullet and build my raised garden!  I found a plan online for the construction of the containers that seemed easy and cheap.  I used a plan from ana-white.com that I modified.  She has the joints on the outside, I moved them to the inside so the boxes look more seamless.  The main idea of her concept is to use cedar fence posts.  Cedar is an untreated wood that is perfect for growing vegies.  The problem is that Cedar boards are very expensive.  Ana's solution is to use cedar fence posts, trimming off the dog-eared portion of the fence posts.  I was able to find the fence posts at Home Depot for around 2 dollars per board.  Much cheaper than buying cedar boards or even pine boards!  On average, it cost me 12 bucks per container.  It actually cost me more to fill the containers with dirt than to build them!
Any way, I had a great time making them and I spent some quality time with my daughter!  I will try to post updates whenever we finish a new section of the garden.  When it's finished, it will be enclosed on all sides with a pebble walk way that winds it's way though the garden.  So far I've got the main section built, tomatoes planted, and one corner built.  Hopefully I'll have some plants in those tomorrow.  In a few months, I should be posting some new recipes featuring the veggies from our garden.


Check out my tomatoes!
A plastic lizard I found that will guard my Tomatoes.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great...i built one when 3 years ago and it produced more herbs and peppers than i could have ever used. I spent far more on Black Cow (aka black gold) than i did on the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. agricultural drone

    ReplyDelete